10 Ways to Upgrade the Look and Feel of Your Bathroom
The evolution of the bathroom is one of the most dramatic changes in home decor in the last fifty years. Many homeowners are converting bathrooms into small retreats.
Upgrading your bathroom doesn’t have to be a chore and can create a lively environment. There are simple ways you can wow guests in the guest bath or create a zen retreat after that long day of work.
Replace Bathroom Fixtures and Flooring
Replacing bathroom fixtures such as the tub spout or sink faucet can have a dramatic effect in the bathroom. A simple upgrade can also enhance the resale of your home.
- Tub and shower faucets come in a variety of styles and trims. Luxury options are available that can be installed in the home for reasonably moderate cost such a thermostatic tub faucet.
- Natural stone and tile flooring is water resistant and easy to clean. A heated underlayment creates a luxurious feel while stepping out of the bath.
- Grouted vinyl flooring is an inexpensive option for creating a custom look in the bathroom. It’s also highly durable and retains heat in the floor. Newer styles and options can mimic a high end look without the cost and labor of tile.
- Upgrading a vanity sink with new faucets can take advantage of the interchangeable vessel sinks or high arc faucets for a dramatic traditional look. They also provide more sink space for small spaces.
Develop a Theme Using Strong Trim and Lighting Techniques
- Small bathrooms can be challenging to upgrade. This is particularly true in bathrooms that are long and narrow. An effective way to give the illusion of a much larger space is to use bright and neutral tones that contrast with a strong trim. Wainscoting in either bead board or raised panel styles can quickly draw attention upward to contrasting paint. This gives the illusion of a larger room.
- Natural light is also a key towards upgrading the feel of a bathroom. Many bathroom windows have privacy curtains and shutters to create the feeling of privacy. However, this can make a space feel dark and small. Installing privacy film or using a combination of stained glass and side curtains can bring in natural light without losing privacy.
- Wall and vanity lighting should be proportional to the space and match the theme. There are hundreds of vanity lighting options. Side sconces can have a more traditional approach while vanity lighting above a mirror can create a modern twist.
Re-Salvage Decorative Pieces
- Some of the most beautiful statements are those in bathrooms that frame pieces for the eye. Framing a bathroom mirror or overhead lighting with trim can have an immediate payback on a bathroom retreat.
- Consider placing salvaged trim or shutters in smaller bathrooms for a cottage feel. Many salvaged pieces can be used to create a fresh look with a historical appeal for older homes.
- Former shades and curtains can be converted using new fabric and trim for an entirely new window treatment style.
Let our team help you design the bathroom of your dreams. Call Powell’s Plumbing at 540-665-8196 for exceptional service in the Winchester area.